You are not signed in.
The current time is: 9/19/2018 3:41:46 AM
 (1939-1945) WWII Battles
AuthorMessage
kaii
Tallinn, Estonia
The last Commando
Posted on: 2/16/2018 12:05:34 PM
Yesterday, Kaare Robertsen, the last surviving member of the Norwegian commando troop (troop 5) in 10th Inter allied Commando, was buried, and with him a piece of ww2 history. Amongst other places, the unit fought on Walcheren island in 1944.
All the brave men that served in that unit are now gone. RIP soldier.

K
---------------
I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.

BWilson
, Posts: 4533
Re: The last Commando
Posted on: 2/16/2018 12:44:56 PM
 May he rest in peace.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
Posted on: 2/16/2018 1:00:03 PM
Yes RIP.

Walcheren Island has a particular significance to Canadians of course.

Without the work of the commandos, British and several other nations, I am not sure that the Canadians would have gotten across the causeway.

I think that he would have landed at Westkapelle on the western side of Walcheren via amphibious landing.

Well done Mr. Robertsen.

George

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
Posted on: 2/16/2018 6:48:12 PM
Kai

Thanks for the tale. Thanks for the photos. Thanks for the reminder.

George is correct in noting that Walcheren was largely a Canadian responsibility, and is simply being honest in recognizing the assistance Canada needed in clearing the area. But Kaare Robertsen marks the more important issue: good men fight for freedom wherever they are needed. And, with any luck, they are honoured in their passing. May he rest in whatever special peace is granted a warrior.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
Posted on: 2/16/2018 6:48:51 PM
Kai

Thanks for the tale. Thanks for the photos. Thanks for the reminder.

George is correct in noting that Walcheren was largely a Canadian responsibility, and is simply being honest in recognizing the assistance Canada needed in clearing the area. But Kaare Robertsen marks the more important issue: good men fight for freedom wherever they are needed. And, with any luck, they are honoured in their passing. May he rest in whatever special peace is granted a warrior.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

kaii
Tallinn, Estonia
Posted on: 2/17/2018 6:03:11 PM

Quote:

I think that he would have landed at Westkapelle on the western side of Walcheren via amphibious landing.

Well done Mr. Robertsen.

George
--George

That is correct George, No 5 toop (Norway) and No 4 troop (Belgium) were attached to the Royal Marines (41 and 48 Commando) in the 4th Special Service Brigade for the landings at Walcheren Island. There were 4 KIA and 17 wounded during the fighting first week of November 1944.

K
---------------
I’m not worried about the Third World War. That’s the Third World’s problem.

redcoat
Stockport, UK
Posted on: 2/28/2018 3:00:46 PM
He was a credit to his nation as were all the rest of the men he served with. RIP.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
Posted on: 2/28/2018 3:57:25 PM
Kai,

From your pic, He had so many medals he must of walked crooked, but he deserved them all!

RIP,
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."