Home   Genealogy   Forums   Search   Contact
MHO Home
MHO Home
Search MHO
Write for MHO
Write for MHO
Write for MHO
Are we missing articles?
Civil War Genealogy
Civil War Genealogy
Ancient ( - 1AD)
Greek-Persian Wars
Peloponnesian Wars
Conquests of Alexander
Macedonian Wars
Punic Wars
Gallic Wars
Roman Empire (31 BC - 476 AD)
Rhine/ Danube Campaigns
Conquest of Britain
Parthian War (Trajan)
2nd Parthian War
Defeat of Persia
Reign of Constantine
Battles of Sparta
Fall of Rome
Medieval (500 AD - 1450 AD)
Belisarius & Narses
Muslim Wars
Holy Roman Empire
Wars of the Normans
Battle of Hastings
The Crusades
Mongol Wars 
Scottish War of Independence
Hundred Years' War
15th Century 
Hussite Wars
War of the Roses 
Swiss Burgundian Wars
16th Century
Spanish Conquest of the Americas
Charles V and Francis I
French Wars of Religion
Netherlands War of Independence
17th Century
Thirty Years War
First English Civil War
Second English Civil War
Indian Wars
King Philip's War
War of the League of Augsburg
War of the English Revolution
King William's War
18th Century
Great Northern War
War of Spanish Secession 
War of Austrian Secession
Seven Years War
American Revolutionary War
French Revolution
19th Century
Napoleonic Wars
US-British War of 1812
Italian Unification
United States - Mexican War
Crimean War
Indian Mutiny
American Civil War
Franco-Prussian War
British-Zulu War 
Boer Wars 
20th Century
Russo-Japanese War
Spanish Civil War
Sino-Japanese War

Israeli-Arab War
Korean War
Vietnam War
Six Days War
Iran-Iraq War
Russo-Afghan War
First Gulf War (Desert Storm)
21st Century
Operation Iraqi Freedom

Recommended Reading

Marines in the Garden of Eden
by Richard S. Lowry

The Gulf War Chronicles
by Richard S. Lowry

The Battle of An Nasiriyah
The Battle of An Nasiriyah
by Richard S. Lowry

March 23rd was the first anniversary of Task Force Tarawa's bloody battle at An Nasiriyah. One year later, it remains the costliest day of our struggle in Iraq. As the sun began to rise on that clear Sunday morning, thirty-three members of the Army's 507th Maintenance Company unknowingly drove directly through Iraqi prepared defenses in, and around, the ancient desert city of An Nasiriyah. A series of misfortunes, poor decisions, and just plain – bad luck, had led this convoy into the jaws of death.

There are not many of us that do not know the story of Jessica Lynch's ambush, capture, and subsequent rescue. Most Americans were horrified at the news of the ambush and the sight of young American soldiers being questioned by their Iraqi captors. Jessica and her fellow prisoners were the lucky ones. Eleven soldiers died in the ambush that morning, and eighteen Marines lost their lives that afternoon.

What is not generally known is that the Marines of Task Force Tarawa were traveling on the heels of Captain King's beleaguered supply convoy. Brigadier General Richard Natonski's Camp Lejeune Marines were moving to secure the eastern bridges on the highway through An Nasiriyah. These bridges were vital to the Marines' plans for the attack toward Baghdad. Colonel Ron Bailey's Regimental Combat Team 2 (RCT-2) was methodically advancing north toward An Nasiriyah on the same road that the 507th had traveled a few hours earlier when they encountered some of the surviving members of the 507th who were fleeing south from the ambush.

C211 Approaches Burning 507th Vehicles

Captain King pleaded with the Marines to save his soldiers. General Natonski ordered his lead battalion commander, LtCol Rick Grabowski, to press forward and find the remaining soldiers of the 507th. He said to Grabowski, "We have to save those soldiers; they would do it for us."

Now LtCol Grabowski's Marines had two missions; secure the bridges and rescue as many of the stranded soldiers as they could. He immediately ordered Major Bill Peeples to move forward with his M1 tanks. TEAM TANK pressed forward and soon they were receiving fire from both sides of the road.

Meanwhile, ten soldiers had abandoned their shot-up vehicles and raced for cover in a trench along the side of the road. Running low on ammunition and with five wounded, they resigned themselves to the fact that they would not survive the day. They all resolved that they would go down fighting. They lay in the trench for nearly an hour, waiting for the Iraqis to close in on their position and their final stand against the enemy. Suddenly, Staff Sergeant Tarik Jackson, cocked his head, "Listen!" he exclaimed.

"Do you hear that?"

"It sounds like our tanks!"

Someone peeked up out of the trench and saw Major Peeples Marine tanks approaching.

Burning 507th Vehicle

TEAM TANK moved in and straddled the trench. They began picking targets and methodically destroying the enemy. COBRA helicopters swooped in and continued the fight. Soon the wounded were being treated and these ten lucky soldiers were being moved to safety.

The day was just beginning for LtCol Grabowski's 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines. They continued north into the city. Unfortunately, they only found burning hulks of the remaining 507th vehicles. The occupants had all been removed. It would be weeks before the fate of the remaining soldiers was known.

So, now Grabowski's Marines focused back on securing the bridges through An Nasiriyah. After a short pause to refuel, Bravo Company led the battalion across the Euphrates River Bridge and into the city. Captain Michael Brooks' Alpha Company raced across the river next and set up defensive positions while Bravo Company turned northeast to skirt the eastern edge of the city. Objective 1, the first bridge was secure. They had accomplished half of their mission.

Captain Dan Wittnam raced across the Euphrates River Bridge with his Charlie Company, riding in eleven Amphibious Assault Vehicles (AAVs or "tracks"). Charlie Company drove straight through the center of town, toward the second, northern bridge. Enemy fire erupted all around them. Charlie Company plowed forward through the ever-increasing enemy fire. Lance Corporal Edward Castleberry was driving the lead vehicle –C201.

Castleberry kept his track moving forward. Several Iraqis ran to the middle of the road stopped and began shooting RPGs at the vehicle. Two rockets whizzed by, scraping the side of C201 as they passed. Other RPGs were duds and just bounced off the armored vehicle. Castleberry watched in terror as another Iraqi jumped into the road and leveled a RPG at his lead track. He rummaged around in the driver compartment trying to keep the 28-ton vehicle driving down the road while he struggled to bring his M-16 rifle up through the hatch. Unable to free his rifle, he steered straight for the enemy soldier and accelerated, crushing the threatening Iraqi under his treads before he could let loose his deadly projectile. Finally, Castleberry managed to free his weapon. Now he was driving forward and shooting his rifle at the same time. The track commander, Sergeant William Schaefer, looked over and said to Castleberry, "What in the hell are you doing?"

"It makes me feel better." Castleberry replied.

Charlie Company pushed forward through the city. The entire Company had nearly traversed the four kilometer gauntlet when the second to last track, C211, was hit in the right rear with an RPG. The warhead hit in the vehicle's "Achilles Heel" just below the track. The explosion spewed shrapnel into the crowded troop compartment, wounding five Marines. Sergeant Randy Glass was the closest to the impact. A large chunk of metal almost completely severed his leg. Smoke poured out of the troop compartment as the entire right rear of C211 continued to burn. The crippled track continued forward and managed to get across the northern bridge before it ground to a stop and more than twenty Marines scrambled out, taking the wounded with them.


All of Charlie Company was now under heavy direct and indirect fire from all sides. The Weapons Platoon leader set up his three mortars and began returning fire. Lieutenant Ben Reid ordered one of his mortar teams to move south with him and set up a position to fire back into the town. Just as they were setting up, the team took a direct hit from an enemy artillery round. Lieutenant Reid was thrown to the ground. "I thought my arm had been blown off" Reid said later. Fortunately, it had only been broken. He turned and found his mortar team decimated. Five Marines lay dead and another four were severely wounded.

Reid ran up the road for help but another artillery round knocked him to the ground. As he lay face down in the Iraqi sand, all he could see was a mass of blood pooling up in the dirt. The shell had peppered his face with shrapnel. He got back on his feet and continued his run to the mortar track, C208. Reid went directly to his Gunny Sergeant and asked him if his eye was still intact. The Gunny looked at Reid's wound and replied, "You're good to go, sir."

Two Air Force A-10s appeared overhead looking for work. Because of the confusion of the battle and many problems on the ground with communications, the battalion forward air controller did not know that Charlie Company had moved north of the Saddam Canal so he cleared the two Warthog pilots hot north of the bridge.

The A-10s swooped in, not knowing that there were Marines in their target area. They dropped eight 500lb bombs and made several strafing runs with their high-powered 30mm gatling guns. They also fired three Maverick missiles. The aircraft that the Iraqis had dubbed "whispering death" made pass after pass, destroying many Iraqi emplacements, vehicles, and buildings.

Cas-evac north of Saddam Canal

Unfortunately, several Marine AMTRACS were hit by stray fire. One of the stray 30mm rounds hit and killed a Marine and other canon rounds wounded several more. By the end of the day eighteen Marines had died fighting for the northern bridge and another fifteen had been wounded, including Lieutenant Reid, who had been knocked to the ground a third time with a gunshot wound to his shoulder.

At An Nasiriyah, the Marines of Task Force Tarawa had kicked open the door for the First Marine Division to charge through to Baghdad. It would take the Marines more than a week to subdue the Iraqi resistance inside Nasiriyah but the Marines of RCT1 would start moving through "Ambush Alley" by the next morning.

Copyright © 2004 Richard S. Lowry

Written by Richard S. Lowry. If you have questions or comments on this article, please contact Mr. Lowry by visiting

Richard S. Lowry, author of The Gulf War Chronicles , (see: is currently finished on his next book, Marines in the Garden of Eden. It will tell the complete story of Task Force Tarawa's week-long battle for An Nasiriyah. It is scheduled for release on 6 June 2006.

*Note: British based, Osprey Publishing Ltd., has just commissioned Richard S. Lowry to write the next book in its Warrior Series.

The books in Osprey's Warrior Series span military history, from Roman Legionnaires and their contemporaries to the men who fought in Vietnam. Richard will expand Osprey's offering to include U. S. Marines in Operation Iraqi Freedom. "U.S. Marine in Iraq – 2003" will be available sometime in early 2006.

About the Author:
Richard S. Lowry is an internationally recognized military historian and author. He proudly served in the United States Nuclear Submarine Service during the Vietnam War. Richard has lived in Central Florida for the last 22 years. He is married and a father of three young men.

He is an entrepreneur, consultant, public speaker and eleventh-generation American. Richard is a frequent contributor to several military websites such as and He has been published in Military Magazine and the Marine Corps Gazette. In June of 2004, Richard was awarded a research grant from the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation to support his development of the next great U.S. Marine Corps saga.

Published online: 05/23/2004.
© 2018, LLC Contact Brian Williams at: