Civil War Genealogy

  New Hampshire
  New Jersey
  New York
  North Carolina
  Rhode Island
  South Carolina
  United States
  US Colored Troops
  West Virginia
  Total: 43762   
    CSA 25454   
    USA 18308   
Civil War Genealogy Database
All Units - Artillery - Cavalry - Engineers - Infantry - Marines - Medical - Misc - Naval
26th Georgia Infantry      
Company A
James Troup Allen - 1st Sergeant   
No Comments

Contact Name:  John W Allen
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  8/2/2010
Company A
William Edwin Clark - Corporal   
Corporal William Edwin “Moore” Clark -

William Edwin “Moore” Clark was born about 1842 in Brunswick, Georgia to Elihu Clark and Ann Catherine Moore. Moore had a sister Mary Julia Clark. His mother was formerly married to James William Pettigrew, who died in December 1838. His half brother was 1st Lieutenant George William Pettigrew, also of Co. A, 26th Georgia Infantry “Brunswick Riflemen”.


Clark, William E. - Private May 29, 1861. Appointed 4th Corporal August 1, 1862. Wounded at Richmond, Va. June 1, 1864. Died from wounds June 3, 1864.

Colonel J. E. Dart tells the history of Brunswick Riflemen

(Brunswick News, July 3, 1911 - extract contributed by Janet S. Williams)

I may be charged with too much sentiment with incidents connected with my
old comrades, the Brunswick Riflemen, yet sentiment is that finer feeling,
twin sister to sympathy, for no heart can open to sympathy without letting
in sentiment are but the outpourings of true, faithful hearted, and if
sometimes as I think of my boyish comrades, and should for a moment see
them again on the tented field, in the bivouac, in the front of battle, and
should I recall them through a mist of tears, it is because, standing as I
am today upon the shores of long pent-up and barren years, the heart at
time grows tender as I remember them in the past years.

In my article about Lieut. Pettigrew, I made an abstract from his last
letter home, and his anxiety about the fate of his little brother Moore,
after the Battle of Manassas, when the Riflemen lost sixteen out of
eighteen members wounded.

In the winter of 1863 smallpox broke out in the Army and Moore was one of
the first stricken and was sent to the hospital at Lynchburg. He was always
a diffident boy (only 16 years old) but after he learned of his brother's
death, he was never known to join in any of the sports of the camp. While
he was sick in the hospital, his mother sent him a butternut suit woven by
her own hands.

I must digress for a moment, not to give history, but to recall to the
students of history what brought on the fight at Turkey Ridge. On June 1,
1864, General Grant, failing in his flank movement, on May 5, 1864, at the
Wilderness, to flank Gen. Lee on the right, failing on the 6th, failing at
Spotsylvania on May 12th, failing at South Anna, his next objective point
was Cold Harbor, which would have cut off General Lee's communication with
Richmond. Therefore, to attract his attention, he (General Grant) made a
heavy demonstration at Turkey Ridge on June 1st. So much for history.

A few days before, the 8th Georgia Battalion, fresh from Georgia, were
attached by special request to our Brigade (Gordon's). Late in the evening
of May 31st, Moore returned from hospital and joined us. When the boys saw
him with his new butternut suit they began guying him. 'Where did you get
that suit? Who made that suit for you?' When with a choking voice he
answered, 'Boys, don't laugh at my clothes; it is the best my poor mother
could do.'

Then Sergeant John Spears (and I digress long enough to say that when
speaking of brave boys, ready at every call of duty, who shirked no danger,
if you should ask me what was the embodiment of quiet, unassuming bravery
as a Confederate soldier, I should say John J. Spears. If he deserves kind
words, I shall say them of him while living, for 'Flattery cannot soothe
the dull cold beat of death.') He (Sgt Spears) spoke up and said, 'Boys,
don't make fun of Moore's clothes, you see how it hurts him.' There was no
more guying; every boy was sorry and did all he could to make Moore forget

The next day, June 1, 1864, we had thrown up hasty entrenchments on a
slight hill, with an open field in front. Skirmishers about three hundred
yards in front had dug some trenches and piled rails in front. About three
o'clock in the afternoon the enemy made a fierce assault upon the rifle
pits, driving out the skirmishers. General Gordon came down the line and
said, 'these pits must be re-taken at any cost.' Our regiment (26th
Georgia) and the 8th Georgia Battalion were selected to retake them. The
entire command, about 1,000 men, was waiting for the 8th Battalion to form
on our left.

Sergeant Spears said to Moore, 'Don't go into this fight, you are just out
of the hospital, you are weak. Stay in the breastworks.' 'No, Sergeant.',
he replied, 'yesterday the boys laughed at my clothes, and if I don't go,
they will laugh at me and say I'm a coward.' Then I said to him, 'Moore,
the boys meant no harm. Stay as the Sergeant says, you are not able to go.'
But go he would. At about five o'clock, the line having been properly
adjusted, Colonel Lilly was placed in command. The enemy had kept up a
steady and heavy rifle fire from the rifle pits, and as we swept over the
breastworks and across the open field straight for the rifle pits (we had
our guns loaded before making the charge) we did not stop to fire and load,
but reserved it until within 30 yards of the enemy, when, as if by common
consent, a murderous volley was fired and the pits were ours. There was
Sergeant Spears, Moore Clark, John Martin and the writer in one pit, and to
our surprise not fifty yards beyond, in a heavy piece of timber, there was
a solid line of battle who opened fire upon us. I remember John Martin,
that brave Irish boy, had an old Austrian musket loaded with ball and
buckshot. The charge was so heavy that over time he fired the musket would
kick so hard it would kick Martin back, and every time he fired a shot he
would exclaim, 'Take that, ye Northern devils; but I would rather have yes
by the wood of the head.'

A bullet striking human flesh gives a sickening thud. It was not long
before I heard the sound and I saw Martin, who was about three feet to my
left, fall back dead. A short time after the sound was repeated and little
Moore said, 'Boys, they have got me.' He was mortally wounded. It was now
after dark when I heard another thud and Sergeant Spears said, 'Jake, they
have got me.' and I was left alone out of the four in that pit. Martin was
dead, Moore mortally wounded, and Sergeant Spears seriously wounded. Now,
John Spears, my old comrade, is this true? If not, I ask you to say so.

About 11 o'clock, all alone in the pit, I had been loading and firing my
Enfield rifle as fast as I could; in fact, it became so hot at times I had
to lay it down to cool off. Suddenly I saw form just to my right, and I
recognized Lt. Rudolph's voice. Coming over quickly to where I was, he
asked, 'Where are the other boys?' 'There is Martin,' I answered, 'dead;
Moore is mortally wounded, Sergeant Spears is badly wounded and gone to the
rear.' 'Why,' he whispered, 'are you here? Don't you know the line has
fallen back to the breastworks?' 'No sir,' I answered. 'Well, come on', he
whispered, 'let us get out of this.' He stooped down and placed his hand on
Martin's head, and whispered, 'Yes, poor John is gone.'

Moore was taken to the hospital at Richmond where he died two days after.
His mother had but two sons, George and Moore - one her first-born and the
other her last-born, her baby boy.

When, one by one the remnants of the Riflemen returned to desolate homes,
this gray-haired mother met each and all with a kind greeting. She did not
murmur; she did not ask us 'Why did you leave my brave boy George behind;
where is my curly haired Moore, who often knelt at my knee to lisp his
childish prayers?' No, she was content to bow to the mandate of the Great
Maker and say, 'Thy will, not mine, be done.'

They say there are worlds so remote from ours 'their distance is
immeasurable by numbers that have name.' If there be such a world, is this
patient old mother, who gave all she had on the altar of her Country's
cause, resting with her boys 'amidst the amaranthine bowers of Heaven?'
Contact Name:  John Frost Murlin
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  7/29/2010
Company A
Thomas B. Heath - Private   
He died 4/20/1864 in Maryland (Frederick County). He was buried in Mount Olive Cemetery, Confederate Section, Frederick, Maryland.
Contact Name:  Margie
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  1/9/2005
Company A
George William Pettigrew - 1st Lieutenant   
George William Pettigrew
Born: 1838 Brunswick, Georgia
Died:30 December 1862 at the Patent Office Hospital, Washington, D.C.
Buried: Congressional Cemetery, Washington, D.C.


George William Pettigrew was born in 1838 in Brunswick, Georgia to James William Pettigrew formerly of Salem, MA and Ann Catherine Moore of Brunswick. His maternal grandmother, Mary McLeod of Brunswick was probably a descendant of the Scotch Highlanders who settled the colonial town of Darien, GA. George Pettigrew’s father, James William Pettigrew, was originally from Salem, MA and died suddenly on the ship Isabella traveling between Brunswick and Charleston. His father, James, died at the age of 24 in 1838 when George was a mere infant. It is ironic that George also died at the age of 24.


DIED--On board the Schr. Isabella, on the 14th inst. while on his passage from this port to Charleston, suddenly of cramp in the stomach, Mr. James W. Pettigrew, of this city, formerly of Salem Mass. aged 24 years. His remains were brought to this city on Sunday last and interred next day. Mr. P. has left a wife and infant son to mourn his sudden death.

Thursday 20 December 1838; pg. 3 col. 5

A CARD--The relations and friends of the late Mr. Pettigrew return their grateful thanks to Capt. Crowell, of the Schr. Isabella, for his kind and generous attendance to the deceased during his late illness on board his vessel, and for his immediate return to this place with his remains. Dec. 27

Thursday 27 December 1838; pg. 3 col. 5

George Pettigrew’s mother remarried Elihu Clark. This marriage produced a half sister and brother for George. His sister was Mary Julia Clark and his brother was William Edwin Moore Clark or simply “Moore”. Moore was also apart of the Brunswick Riflemen and was wounded at Turkey Ridge near Richmond June 1, 1864 and died on June third.

By 1860, according to the census, George Pettigrew was a school teacher in his hometown of Brunswick. George Pettigrew married Martha Rosabella Fahm 29 August 1858 in Brunswick. Martha was a descendant of Friedrich (Frederick) Fahm a German immigrant to Colonial Georgia. These German speaking Protestants are commonly referred to as Salzburgers because of the area near Salzburg where they originate.

George Pettigrew and Martha had 3 children including Mary Louisa born 14 June 1859 (who I run from), Urbanus William Pettigrew, who died an infant in 1861, and George Edwin Pettigrew born in 1862. Urbanus was undoubtedly named after one of George Pettigrew’s best friends - Urbanus Dart, who served with George Pettigrew in the Brunswick Riflemen. Urbanus Dart is the older brother of Jacob E. Dart who wrote the articles for the Brunswick Journal in 1911 that you will hear shortly.

George Pettigrew was also a Mason in Brunswick – the Ocean Lodge. George Pettigrew was an Episcopalian and dedicated Christian.

With it being said that George Pettigrew was one of the first to join the Brunswick Riflemen, I will give a short history of the unit he participated in. The 26th Georgia infantry was originally formed to protect the lower Georgia coast from the Florida line to Brunswick. The men were first stationed on the southern end of Cumberland Island guarding the entrance to Saint Mary’s, GA and later also on Jekyll Island and Saint Simons Island guarding the entrance to Brunswick.

28 October 1860 The Brunswick Riflemen are organized as a militia.

29 May 1861 The militia company is mustered into Confederate service.
Elected 2nd Sergeant

01 August 1861 Reorganization

August 1861 - 27 February 1862 Stationed at the south end of Cumberland Island protecting the entrance to St. Mary’s

23 September 1861 appointed 1st sergeant

January 1862 04 March 1862 stationed at Brunswick

March 1862 – Son, George Edwin Pettigrew, is born (Incidentally George Edwin Pettigrew’s son George Fahm Pettigrew dies an infant in 1894, thus there are no male Pettigrew descendants of George W. Pettigrew living in 2010.

By March 1862, the decision has been made largely by Robert E. Lee to abandon the defense of the lower Georgia coast (the Brunswick and Saint Mary’s area) in order to send troops to Virginia at the request of the Confederate government. To thank the troops stationed on Cumberland Island for protecting Saint Marys, “The Ladies of St. Marys, them living at Centervillage (near present day Folkston, Georgia), sent a banner to be used as the Company’s Colors. Sergeant John L. Rudulph presented the colors to Captain Blain is a ceremony. Afterwards, Saint Mary’s and Brunswick are largely abandoned. The residents of Brunswick and Saint Simmons Island took refuge westward at Waynesville on the Atlantic and Gulf Rail Road continued to be protected by a small force. This is a line that runs from Savannah to what is now Waycross to Thomasville. Brunswick residents largely went to Waynesville. Many plantation owners on Saint Simmons Island had summer homes near Waynesville. Many Saint Marys residents went inland to Centervillage (near present day Folkston, Georgia). George Pettigrew’s mother and family took refuge in Waynesville.

The following book mentions Mrs. George W. Pettigrew at her wartime home near Waynesville:
The Children of Pride, Robert Manson Myers, Yale University Press, 1972

Pettigrew, (Mrs. George W.) Martha Rosabella (Fahm):

On page 1258, there is a letter from Mary S. Mallard to her mother Mary S. Jones written 15 March 1865 describing her stay at the home of Mrs. George W. Pettigrew at Station 7 on the Albany and Gulf Rail Road near Waynesville. Waynesville was the area that most Brunswick civilians lived after Brunswick was abandoned in order to send Georgia troops to Virginia.

On page 1643, the book gives a biography of Martha Rosabella (Fahm) Pettigrew, the wife of George W. Pettigrew.

04 March 1862 left Brunswick for Savannah

05 March 1862 Arrived at Camp Debtford near Savannah under Major A. C. Anderson

16 March Left Camp Debtford and took charge of Lawton’s Battery on Smith Island guarding the river approach to Savannah.

May 1862 Became Company A (old Company K)

08 May 1862 Elected 2nd Lieutenant

10 July 1862 reached Gordonsville, Virginia from Savannah.

08 August near Culpepper, VA

09 August Battle of Cedar Mountain

09 September Took possession of Harper’s Ferry, VA (now WV) under Stonewall Jackson

16 September 1862 Battle of Sharpsburg

03 December 1862 Elected 1st Lieutenant

13 December 1862 Battle of Fredericksburg
Wounded and captured

30 December 1862 Died of Wounds at Washington

31 December 1862 Buried in the Masonic Section of the Congressional Cemetery

After he was wounded, George W. Pettigrew was in the Patent Office in Washington, D.C., which at the time was used as a hospital. He refused treatment until all others, friend and foe, had been treated. The delays in medical treatment contributed to his untimely death. This unselfish behavior in addition to his bravery on the battlefield as described by Jacob E. Dart make him a hero.

George Pettigrew’s thoughts and prayers were always with his mother, wife, children, brother, sister, and friends. I am very proud to be connected to this humble and well grounded man only 24 years old.

In summery, George William Pettigrew, was like so many Confederate soldiers, devoted to God, family, and his country.

From notes of his mother Anne Catherine Moore:
George William Pettigrew, son of James W. Pettigrew was wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg in the left knee on the 13 Dec {assume 1862} and was taken to the city of Washington on the 25th Dec and died on 30 Dec. 1862. My own child breathed his last among strangers. He laid down his life for his country cause. ___ to his ashes may that God who in his wise providence this beloved son, brother, husband and father receive him into ______ of Eternal Glory then to live forever and ever.

Statement from John Frost Murlin:
George Pettigrew may have died amongst strangers but he is remembered by friends and family today.

John Frost Murlin

The Brunswick Journal; 24 May 1911
COL. DART WRITES OF LIEUTENANT PETTIGREW—History of Lieutenant Geo. W. Pettigrew.
How few know those finer traits of human character, in our daily contact with each other until after being brought out by crucial tests; here was a Brunswick boy who made no pretense of a more heroic mould than his average, every day acquaintances, yet, when occasion offered, towered above them like some incarnate knight.
He was almost the first of the old riflemen to form our company on October 20, 1860, and when the call was made in “61” for volunteers, almost the first to answer, and was mustered into service with the company on May 27, 1861, and marched away to the call of duty, leaving behind a young wife, though the bridal kiss had scarcely left her cheek; was it an innate soul prophecy, no one ever knew, but he always contended he would be killed in the first battle; laugh as they might, as the boys guyed him he was ever firm in this belief.
He was possessed of a rich contralto voice, and often in camp would sing for the boys. His favorite was “Woodman Spare That Tree”. After a hard day’s march we arrived on the 12th of December 1862 near Hamilton’s Crossing just south of Fredericksburg. That night (a cold one) gathered around a camp fire, Capt. Dart asked him to sing, “Woodman Spare That Tree”. He was standing near a large oak. At first he excused himself, but we became insistent and he yielded. I had heard him sing that old, old song before, but never with the same deep pathos as that night, and when he came to that part, “Woodman, forbear they stroke, cut not this earth beyond ties, oh spare that aged oak now towering to the skies” his voice grew tremulous, and he thinking of the old oaks he saw so often in his boyhood, bamboled beneath with his youthful playmates, in the loved home, Brunswick. Boys from other commands gathered around to listen to the song, and when he ended there was more than one moist cheek. After a pause he said: “Let us get some rest, for who can tell what tomorrow may bring.”
At about ten o’clock the next day (13th), we took position on an old country road; in front were dense woods. Skirmishing was going on in our front, we being held in reserve. I think it was about one o’clock when Meade, who had his division marked in by two lines, assaulted. (I think it was Gregg’s brave boys as ever faced a foe), but they were overpowered and driven back, and our brigade, Lawton’s—afterwards Gordon’s—under the command of Col. E.N. Atkinson (than whom no more gallant officer ever wore a sword), were ordered forward. The woods was thick with briers, wild roses and fallen limbs, many cut down by shot and shell from the enemy’s batteries in front.
Our company, A 26th Georgia, was on the extreme right. The railroad ran through a copse of woods before coming out toward Fredericksburg. Lieut. Pettigrew was on the right and a few of the company following him went through those woods. I think I can give the names of those with him: Jake Sykes, Clay Williams, Ben Williams, Tobe Goodbread, and the writer. There may have been others but I fail to remember now. As we passed through and came upon the open plain, the battlefield in all its terrible grandeur broke in view upon us. Thirty pieces of Federal artillery were hurling shot, shell, canister and grape on their mission of death, while there was one incessant crash of musketry.
It seemed that all the demours of the lower regions were there riding in high carnival on the warring passions of men, gleating, gibering, and laughting in fiendish delight over the harvest of death.
Yet there stood Pettigrew, calm, tall and commanding, his sword pointing toward the artillery, saying “Boys, forward and take those batteries!” About twenty paces in front there was a ditch and he jumped across. I saw him sway a moment, then settle down on his right knee, then on his elbows with his sword still grasped in his hand. Running up I asked, “Lieutenant, are you hurt?’ “yes, but don’t’ mind me, go on and take those batteries!” It was his last command.
In my next I shall let the old news-paper clippings, old faded letters, which have been blurred with tears and the mists of forty-nine years, tell of his heroic death and sad burial in the city of Washington. J.E. Dart.

The Brunswick Journal; 30 May 1911
DEATH OF LIEUTENANT PETTIGREW DESCRIBED BY COLONEL J.E. DART—History of Lieut. Pettigrew Brunswick Riflemen (Concluded).
In my last article I said that I would let old newspaper clippings and faded letters finish his history. Had I said I was writing as his school mate, his comrade, his kinsman, it might have been said it was from a partisan view. J.E.D.
“Lynchburg, Va. Sept. 2, 1862
My dear Wife:
Your letter was received with the deepest feelings of joy. I have for some time been anxiously waiting to hear from the loved ones at home and that I have been permitted to persue those lines of deep affection traced by the hand of a fond and much loved wife, I am now fully recovered, but I cannot say how long it will last; cannot say how soon I shall be able to return to my suffering family, and accept the noble offer made by my friend Mike. I feel grateful to him for his kindness to me and mine, and should I never be able to repay him, may God reward him and vouchsafe him a long and happy life.”
Further on he says:
“I see the army is now at Manassas and have a terrible battle in which Ewell’s division was twice driven back with great loss, but being reinforced they charged the third time and swept the enemy from the field. Our brigade is attached to this division. I tremble with fear as to the result. May God forbid that my brother could fall victim to this cruel war.” (His brother, Moore, was killed at Turkey Ridge June 1, 1864.)
Speaking further on he writes:
“Oh, God, what a happy hour it is for him (his brother, only 16 years old) when peace is declared he could shed tears of joy at the bare prospect of peace and a happy reunion with those dearer to me than life. Give my love to my dear mother and tell her that I will never forget that inestimable being to whom I owe my existence, and upon my heart is indelably stamped the immage of a fond and revered mother. Goodbye, your ever true and devoted husband.
George W. Pettigrew.”
Note from the battlefield:
“The enemy has treated me kindly. Those who will send you this will tell you where I am, if alive. George W. Pettigrew.”
On the back of the note:
“Your son was sent to Washington, D.C. yesterday. W. Pollock.”
“Washington, D.C. Jan. 3, 1863
My dear Mrs. Pettigrew:
Being one among your late husband’s friends that attended his dying bedside, I offer you my sincere sympathy, and write a few incidents of his last moments. I was sent for on Sunday, to go and see him, accompanied by Mrs. Wilson, who kindly wrote you of your meloncholly loss. I sent for the Rev. Dr. Hall, formerly of Augusta, Ga. and communicated to him his dying state. He received it with christian resignation. The Lord’s Prayer was read for his family, then under affection he then asked that the Apostles Creed be read. When I finished he took the book from my hand saying: ‘I want to see those blessed words’. Oh, Merciful God, look with pity upon you all, is the prayer of your friend.
What Mrs. Butts writes:
“I called to see your husband at the Patent Office Hospital, on the Sunday previous to his death and took a memorandum of what he desired me to say to you which was that he wanted his mother or wife, one or both, to come to see him. He was wounded in the left knew at Fredricksburg, and I shall never forget how his countenance lighted up as I asked him at what time he was wounded and he replied ‘I was wounded on Saturday about three o’clock, while making a charge on the enemies batteries.’
(did I uote history in my first article?)
He had every attention from kind ladies that could properly be given him. I regret that the lock of hair was taken out by the Federal officer who examined the letter.
Comment is not necessary on this incident, save he belonged not to those high toned christian soldiers who wore the blue like our honored fellow citizens, Maj. Downing, Goodyear, Dunn and others. They would not have deprived a grey haired old mother and sorrowing wife the sad sweet privilege of moistening with tears that harmless token, a tress of hair from that brave boy’s brow.”
What the Washington papers said:
BURIAL OF A REBEL OFFICER—The funeral of Major Geo. W. Pettigrew who was wounded at Fredericksburg and taken a prisoner took place from Masonic hall this afternoon and was attended by a large number of Masons, who followed his remains to the Congressional cemetery and was buried in the lot belonging to the Grand Lodge.
He was a relative of a distinguished lawyer of that name of Charleston, S.C.
In the battle of Fredericksburg he was wounded in the knee. He was brought to this city and taken to the Patent Office Hospital on Wednesday last, but steadily refused to allow his wound to be dressed until all the wounded, who had come up at the same time, had been attended to and when his case came it was found that modification had taken place, which resulted in his death Monday night. On Sunday finding that there was no hope of his recovery he made himself known as a Mason to the surgeon in charge, and asked that the fact should be made known to some of the Masons in Washington.
Grand Master Stansburg was at once informed and hastened to his bedside. A will was drawn leaving his property to his mother, wife and children, about whom he seemed to be mostly concerned. He also requested that the Masonic fraternities would take charge of his body and it be buried with the usual honors.
After his death, which took place Monday night, his remains were placed in a handsome mahogany casket and laid in state at Masonic hall and this afternoon the services of the Episcopal church, of which he was a member, was conducted by Rev. Dr. McCurdy of Kentucky. The Masonic services at the grave were conducted by Grand Master and Lecturer E.L. Stevens.
Extract from another Washington paper:
The death of Major Pettigrew was caused by the mortification of the wound, which resulted from his persistent refusal to have his wounds dressed until after all of our wounded men were attended to—not his comrades in gray, but his late foes upon the field of battle.
Let song and story tell of Leonidas and his Spartan band. Let poets sing of the charge of the light brigade at Balaclava; let Phillips in the House of Lords, speaking of Napoleon’s death, say “he was the greatest man that, in the annals of the world ever rose, reigned or fell.
Let marble shafts rear high their heads to commemorate the heroism of men; let golden medals be pinned upon their breast for noble deeds, but here was a Brunswick boy seeking no fame or reward, forgetting mother, wife, and prattling babes, reaching out in that broad field of suffering humanity, though they were his foes.
With that charity extending beyond the grave, knowing that every hour his chances of life were growing less and less, saying: ‘Don’t mind me or my sufferings, help the other suffers, they are no longer foes, but belong to that great world of humanity and died that others might live.’”
Some years ago I was on my way to Washington when near Hamilton’s Crossing an accident occurred to the engine. The conductor said it would require an hour for repairs. It was late in the evening, the sun was sinking behind the western hills. I knew where I saw him last, with sword grasped in hand. There was the same ditch but the ploughshare had been there. Fields of grain were waving with the autumn winds, a stray sunbeam rested for a moment, then faded away. In the gathering twilight all was so calm, so still, so peaceful. No sound was heard, save the distinct song of the reapers, gathering the golden harvest.
The shrill whistle of the engine recalled me, “and night closed as I went.” J.E. DART.
Contact Name:  John Frost Murlin
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  10/30/2009
Company A
Jacob Francis Sikes(Sykes) - 1st Corporal   
Private May 29,1861. Appointed 1st Corporal. Wounded March 25,1865 during the attempted breakout and capture of Ft Steadman, died April 5,1865. Buried Ft.Steadman Petersburg,Va.
Contact Name:  Robert Moyers
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  5/18/2008
Company A
John V. Sikes(Sykes) - Private   
Private Aug.4,1861. Wounded left hand, two fingers amputated at Chancellorsville,Va. May 1863. Discharged, disability, prior to Sept.21,1864.
Contact Name:  Robert Moyers
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  5/18/2008
Company B
David Marshall Thrash - Private   
No Comments

Contact Name:  Mark Johnson
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  9/26/2008
Company C
John Henry Alderman - Private   
John Henry Alderman was originally stationed at Camp Smith near Savannah, Georgia before Brig. Gen. Alexander Lawton marched his brigade - containing the 26th Georgia - to Virginia. Alderman was killed on August 28, 1862 in the fighting at Brawner's Farm (near Groveton).

Numerous letters are still in family possession which indicate that John Henry Alderman took part in at least some of the Seven Days Battles, before the unit proceeded to Manassass. A letter dated July, 1862 seems to reference Gaines Mill and at least one other squirmish. Confederate death record notes place of death as 'Bristoe and Manassass.'
Contact Name:  Steve Alderman
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  3/20/2008
Company C
Isaac Brinson Alligood - Private   
My great great grandfather; enlisted July 23, 1861. Died in service in Shenandoah County, Virginia. Buried in Soldiers Cemetery in Mount Jackson, Virginia
Contact Name:  Linda
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  4/23/2009
Company C
George Cooner - Unknown   
No Comments

Contact Name:  Roger Carpenter
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  1/19/2008
Company C
William Daniel Highsmith - Unknown   
W.D. Highsmith was known as 'Daniel.' He was wounded in the thigh (fracturing his femur) on 9 Sept 1864, sent to the hospital in Winchester, VA, where his leg was amputated. He died on 20 Oct 1864. He is the great-great grandfather of my wife, Nancy Liles Miles. She is the d/o Samuel A. Liles, s/o William Daniel Liles, s/o Madison Liles and Sallie/Sarah Highsmith, d/o of William Daniel Highsmith.
Contact Name:  David Miles
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  4/21/2015
Company C
James Knox - Captain   
No Comments

Contact Name:  Mike Knox
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  2/13/2013
Company C
Everett Mizell - Corporal   
Enlisted as a Corporal on 29 July 1861
Enlisted in Company C, 26th Infantry Regiment Georgia on 29 July 1861.
Died of disease Company C, 26th Infantry Regiment Georgia on 27 April 1863 in Institute Hospl., Richmond, VA.
Contact Name:  Fred Rose
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  1/17/2009
Company C
Jackson Mizell - 1st Lieutenant   
Enlisted as a Sergeant 1st Class on 29 July 1861
Enlisted in Company C, 26th Infantry Regiment Georgia on 29 July 1861.
Promoted to Full Lieutenant 1st Class on 30 July 1863
POW on 10 July 1864 at Monocacy, MD
Exchanged on 31 October 1864 at Point Lookout, MD
Contact Name:  Fred Rose
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  1/17/2009
Company C
John C. Rogers - Private   
John C. Rogers enlisted 3 Sept 1861, re-enlisted May 1, 1862. Present Nov 5, 1864. No further record.
His brothers, Capt. Uriah J. Rogers and Sgt. Mitchell Rogers of Co. C, 26th GA were killed at battle of Cedar Creek Oct 19, 1864.
Contact Name:  John Davis
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  9/17/2004
Company C
Mitchell Adams Rogers - 3rd Sergeant   
Killed at battle of Cedar Creek, Oct 19, 1864. Following war letter was sent by William Severance, a Yankee soldier to father of Mitchell Rogers as follows:
Augusta, Maine
August 1, 1866

Mr. Wm. H. Rodgers
Brooks County
Quitman, Georgia

My Dear Sir,

I will now do a duty which I have been prevented from doing on account of a want of mail facilities.
I have been a soldier in the Federal Army; was at the Battle of Cedar Creek, Virginia. On the 19th of October, 1864, just at night of this day as we were advancing over ground lately gained, I came upon a soldier in a gray uniform whose intelligent and expressive countenance so attracted my attention, I could not resist the temptation to stop and learn something of him. He was a Sergeant in Company ''G'' (I think), 26th Georgia Regiment and his name was Rodgers, but the first name I have forgotten. He was wounded in the left breast and seemed conscious that he had but a short time to live. He told me he had a brother (older, I think) lying dead but a few roads away. He was calm, quiet and resigned and said he would feel no anger for those who had caused his wound, as they, like himself felt that they were doing their duty. He seemed as quiet as though sleeping, suffering no pain. I gave him a drink of water, placed his blanket comfortably under his head and pinned his name, regiment and company upon it.
In answer to my inquiry whether he wished any word sent any friend or relative if ever the opportunity offered, he said: ''If ever this war is over and you can, write my father who lives in Quitman, Georgia, and tell him where I died.'' He then gave me your address. Reluctantly I left him, feeling as though leaving a friend, so strongly had his quiet demeanor and forgiving spirit impressed me. In those few minutes I had, I did not know whether he had lived or died for I could never find time to return to the spot although wishing to do so. But often has my mind returned to that spot, surrounded by those scenes of beauty which everywhere meet the eye in the Shenandoah Valley, with the autumn sun sinking behind the mountains; and have felt at times, when weary with the perplexities of life, almost envious of the quiet repose of the brave soldier.
It would gratify me to know if you receive this. Anything directed to Augusta, Maine, care of ''Maine Farmer'' will reach me.
I am, dear sir, with great respect.
Contact Name:  John Davis
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  9/17/2004
Company C
Uriah J. Rogers - Captain   
Killed at battle of Cedar Creek, Oct 19, 1864
Contact Name:  John Davis
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  9/17/2004
Company C
Thomas Han Womack - Private   
My wife's great-great Granfather. Enlisted 30 April, 1862. Was wounded in the chest by rifle fire on 12 May, 1864 at the Battle of The Bloody Angle. Died in a field hospital on 12 Jun 1864 near Richmond, Virginia.
Contact Name:  Howard Thrasher
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  2/7/2017
Company D
George W. Deen - Private   
Enlisted 8/26/1861 into Co.'D' and died 11/4/1862 at Richmond, Va.
Contact Name:  Randy Peacock
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  11/14/2005
Company D
Jesse Deen - Private   
Enlisted 8/26/1861 into Co.'D' and was discharged 11/30/1861 due to disability and over age.
Contact Name:  Randy Peacock
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  11/14/2005
Company D
Robert Howe Deen - 1st Corporal   
Enlisted 8/26/1861 into Co.'D' and died 7/14/1862 of turberculosis in Univ. of Va. hospital Charlottesville, Va.
Contact Name:  Randy Peacock
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  11/14/2005
Company D
Willis Deen - Private   
Enlisted 8/26/1861 into Co.'D', died 8/17/1862 at Lovingston, Va.
Contact Name:  Randy Peacock
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  11/14/2005
Company D
Perry Lee Hickox - Private   
No Comments

Contact Name:  Mike Chesser
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  3/20/2012
Company D
Thomas C. Lott - Captain   
Enlisted 8/26/1861 as Jr. 2nd Lt. into Co. 'D', promoted to 1st Lt. 4/6/1862 and to Captain 8/15/1862. He was killed in battle 8/22/1862 at Battle of 2nd Manassas, Va.
Contact Name:  Randy Peacock
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  11/13/2005
Company D
Allen E. Smith - Musician   
Allen E. Smith was born 28 Mar 1844 in Pierce Co., GA. He enlisted 8/26/1861 as Private and was mustered into 'D' Co. GA 26th Infantry. Later was promoted to 'Musician'. He surrendered on 4/9/1865 at Appomattox Court House, VA.
He committed suicide 11/2/1900 and is buried at Jordan Church Cemetery in Ware Co., GA.
Contact Name:  Jene Welch
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  6/14/2010
Company E
Henry Howell - Private   
1836-1915: Private. Nov.17, 1861.
Wounded in Virginia in 1864 . Admitted to C.S.A. General Hospital Charlottesville, Va.
Wounded in right arm Sep.29th 1864. Furloughed Oct.13,1864.
Muster Roll of Co.E 26th Reg. Ga. Vol. Inf. of the Army of Northern Virginia...Twiggs County, Ga. - Faulk Invincibles
____________* This Company was successively designated:
New Co.E, 13th Ga. Val. Inf. and Co.E which became Co.I Apr.8th, 1862; 26th Regt. Ga. Vol. Inf.
No later record.
(This is my Great Great Uncle.)
Contact Name:  James Meadows
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  12/17/2008
Company E
John Howell - Private   
John Howell; Twiggs Co. Ga.1816-1864 Enlested May 1,1864 died Nov. 1,1864. Father of John M. Howell;(4th Corporal,Co. E 26th Reg. Ga. Vol.) and Henry Howell (Pr.Co.E 26th Reg. Ga..Vol.) ..
* Muster Roll of Co.E 26th Reg. Ga. Vol. Inf. of the Army of Northern Va. .Twiggs County, Ga. - Faulk Invincible
* This Company was successively designated:
New Co.E, 13th Ga. Val. Inf. and Co.E which became Co.I Apr.8th, 1862; 26th Regt. Ga. Vol. Inf,
(Jonh Howell was my Great,Great,Great Grandfather.)

Contact Name:  James Meadows
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  12/17/2008
Company E
John M Howell - 4th Corporal   
John M. Howell:. .(1841- 1907) Privet Sept. 25, 1861 appointed 4th Corporal May 8th 1862. Wounded in back of right leg at Wilderness, Va. May 5, 1865 flesh wound (stated on papers) Va. May 5th 1864.;
. .Surrendered, Appomattox,Va. Apr. 9th 1865..
.....Muster Roll of Co.E 26th Reg. Ga. Vol. Inf. of the Army of Northeern Va. .Twiggs County, Ga. - Faulk Invincibles
* This Company was successively designated:
New Co.E, 13th Ga. Val. Inf. and Co.E which became Co.I Apr.8th, 1862; 26th Regt. Ga. Vol. Inf.
(John M. Howell, was my Great Great Granfather)
Contact Name:  James Meadows
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  12/17/2008
Company E
James P Jones - 1st Sergeant   
This is my Great Grand father
Contact Name:  Henry W. Jones
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  11/9/2015
Company F
Josiah Mizell - Private   
Enlisted as a Private on 15 August 1861
Enlisted in Company F, 26th Infantry Regiment Georgia on 15 August 1861.
POW on 29 March 1865 at Petersburg, VA
Released on 29 June 1865 at Point Lookout, MD.
Contact Name:  Fred Rose
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  1/17/2009
Company F
Gordon Stewart Taylor - 1st Sergeant   
No Comments

Contact Name:  David Baron
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  8/12/2006
Company F
William Sellers Taylor - Private   
William was 18 when he joined on 26 Aug 1861 at Waresboro, Ware Co. Ga. [Old] Co H [ Ware Guards ]. 13th Regt Ga. Inf. This became Co F 26th Ga Inf. He was wounded by a minnie ball to his right arm at Fort Steadman on 26 March 1865. Sent to the Confederate Hospital at Petersburg. Captured by Union forces and sent to Fort Monroe the on to Fort Delaware. He was released on 21 June 1865 after swallowing the Yellow Dog. He was 21 years old. He was the husband of my 3rd cousin 3 x removed. Martha Ann Gandy.
Contact Name:  Phillip Thomas
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  6/17/2018
Company G
washington g bostick - Private   
W G Bostick enlisted 21 Sep 1861 Company G, 26th Infrantry Regiment, Georgia and surrendered 9 Apr 1865 at Appomattox Court House Va his rank was Private
Contact Name:  sharon bostick
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  2/8/2011
Company G
Irwin Moore - Private   
Irwin was my ggguncle He private in Co 'G', 26th Georgia Infantry Regiment, CSA and was killed in battle at 2nd Manasses, Va Aug. 28, 1862.
Contact Name:  James Moore
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  7/30/2010
Company G
Jesse Moore - Private   
Jesse was my ggguncle. He enlisted 9/21/1861 in Co 'G' 26th Ga Infantry Regiment CSA. He served until he was captured 3/25/1865 near Petersburg, Va. He remained in Point Lookout Federal Prison until 6/29/1865 when he was paroled and
returned home.
Contact Name:  James Moore
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  7/30/2010
Company G
Stephen Moore - Private   
Stephen was my ggguncle On 5/8/1862 Stephen was wounded in the leg during the battle of Second Manassas, he was transported to Lynchburg, Va a Confederate hospital and passed away there from the wounds received in battle.
Contact Name:  James Moore
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  7/30/2010
Company G
John Moore, Jr - Private   
John Moore was my gggf. According to a statement signed by his brother for his mother to received a pension 'Gordon's Brigade charged a fort in front of our lines at Petersburg and captured it. Enemy bonbarded the fort and John Moore had his right leg shot off by canon ball and died a few hours later.' He is buried at the Confederate Cemetery No 1 2nd line, lot 201, Way Side in Lynchburg, Va, on June 15, 1864.
Contact Name:  James Moore
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  7/30/2010
Company G
William M. Sailors - Private   
William enlisted 12 Aug 1861 as a private. He died on 31 Aug 1862. Apparently there was no battle that day, if all the info is correct. So, he would probably have died of illness.
Contact Name:  Kit Kolenda (Sailor)
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  2/7/2013
Company G
daniel spikes - Private   
the book 'south georgia rebels: the true wartime experiences of the 26th GA Inf Reg' covers this regiment.
Contact Name:  jon spikes
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  2/1/2010
Company G
joel spikes - Private   
the book 'south georgia rebels: the true wartime experiences of the 26th GA Inf Reg' covers this regiment.
Contact Name:  jon spikes
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  2/1/2010
Company G
peter spikes - Private   
the book 'south georgia rebels: the true wartime experiences of the 26th GA Inf Reg' covers this regiment.
Contact Name:  jon spikes
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  2/1/2010
Company K
William C. Miller - Unknown   
No Comments

Contact Name:  Susan McKenney
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Contact Homepage:
Date Added:  2/28/2017
Company K
John T Walden - Sergeant   
Died during the Battle of Cold Harbor,I am trying to locate a grave, any help appreciated
Contact Name:  Susan McKenney
Contact Email:  Click for E-mail
Date Added:  1/5/2013
© 2024 - LLC